Unwanted hair troubles everyone. Since ages, women have employed a variety of ways to remove hair starting from traditional aata loi to sugar scrubs to stones to baked mud (jhava). Tweezing, waxing, shaving remains popular for hair removal as done in modern electronic exfoliators. Yet the trouble with all these methods is that they are temporary and not long-lasting or permanent. Hair pops up, again and again, forcing women to go through the rigors of hair removal at home or parlours or salons at least twice a month. One of the best-known permanent hair removal techniques is Laser Hair Reduction, which has caught on in the last decade.
Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is one of the best methods of removing unwanted hair from various parts of the body without mess and pain. Also known for its permanent hair removal technique, the treatment does inhibit the hair growth drastically but it does not remove hair completely. It is safe to practice on various body parts like the legs, arms, armpits, bikini line, chest, etc. Medical Grade Lasers are used to target the root of the hair or hair follicles that are rich in melanin. These hair follicles absorb the heat of the lasers and thus are damaged. This hampers the ability of the hair follicle to grow again. Since the hair follicle reacts best to lasers in the resting phase, the hair that is in the growth phase or falling off stage is not affected and the laser treatment has to be repeated for a few more sessions till all the hair is treated.
Things to know about Permanent Laser Hair Removal
It is a myth that the Permanent Laser Hair Removal treatment is expensive and requires several follow-up sessions to get desired results. Also, there are certain guidelines important to know before undertaking the procedure. To prepare well for the permanent laser hair removal treatment, knowing these guidelines is a must.
1. Consultation is Must – It is necessary to consult with laser hair removal specialists to know whether or not you are a good candidate for the treatment. As per your skin and hair type, the experts give a concrete idea about several sittings required, expected results and cost involved.
2. Shaving Targeted Area – Shaving the targeted area before 24-48 hours of the treatment is advisable. You may think it is quite a strange idea but the fact is the laser hair removal treatment targets only actively growing hair and shaving encourages hair to enter the growing stage.
3. Stop Waxing and Plucking – If you are the right candidate for the permanent laser hair removal treatment, stop plucking and waxing of the targeted area for a minimum of four to six weeks before the first sitting. It is because the laser treatment targets the roots of the hair, that often removed during the aforementioned hair removal procedures.
4. Avoiding Sun Exposure – Avoid going outdoors and prolonged sun exposure for a minimum of two weeks before hair removal treatment as it saves you from suntan and sunburn. Treating tanned or sunburn skin leads to excessive pain and blistering. Thus, in case a person has tanned skin on the targeted area, most of the dermatologists prefer waiting till the time tanning fades away.
5. Inform about your Medications – When you visit a dermatologist for an initial consultation of the laser hair removal treatment, disclose about all oral and topical medications you are taking. Some medications may reduce the effectiveness of the treatment. Administering certain medications like birth control pills and antibiotics may make skin sensitive and increase the chances of a blister or burn during the treatment.
6. Bathe before Every Session – Cleaning the skin with a gentle cleanser helps in removing dirt, make-up and oil from the skin and makes it suitable for laser hair removal treatment. However, do not apply moisturizer after bathing.
7. Taking Every Session is Indispensable – It has been commonly observed that people stop taking follow-up sessions once they observe reduced hair growth. To get the long-lasting results, taking every session as recommended by the dermatologist is indispensable.
8. Changing Beauty Products – Whatever beauty products a person is using, s/he should disclose the same to the dermatologist. The Reason being, some products contain chemicals and need to avoid during the entire length of the laser treatment.
9. Lastly, all people have different skin and hair types. Thus, different people may get different results with the same laser hair removal treatment.
Laser Hair Reduction at Clinic Dermatech
Seeking an expert’s advice at Clinic Dermatech will help you make an informed choice of hair removal techniques and treatments. All laser hair reduction sessions take place in state-of-the-art procedure rooms and are conducted by expertly trained staff. Post-treatment care is stressed upon. Schedule an appointment at your nearest Clinic Dermatech today to know more about Laser Hair Reduction!