Rosacea is a common skin condition in women that causes redness and visible blood vessels on the face, as well as small, red, pus-filled bumps, which can be mistaken for acne, an allergic reaction, or other skin problems. Whether you have oily, dry, or combination skin, it’s frustrating enough without any other skincare concerns to find skincare products that match your skin type. And if you have rosacea, you may feel as though you’re out of luck. Whether you’re using prescription medications or undergoing a laser treatment for rosacea, building a solid skincare regimen should be part of your treatment plan. Skincare is essential and if you don’t take care of your skin, especially if you have rosacea with an inherent barrier and inflammatory issue, the skin will only get worse as time goes on
Below, we’ve compiled a skincare regime and tips to keep in mind to help keep visible redness on your skin’s surface at bay.
Rosacea Skin Care Routine
Now that you know more about rosacea and some of its triggers, you’re probably wondering if your skincare routine can help with the appearance of your skin. Rosacea skincare routine is to be followed every day without fail.
- Cleanser: Use a gentle sensitive skin cleanser that does not dry out your skin.
- Sunscreen: Remember to apply sunscreen (with SPF 30 or greater) in the A.M. Like CIEL’s cooling sunblock with SPF 50.
- Moisturize: If you have oily or combination skin, use a gel or a light serum moisturizer formulated with several different antioxidants and skin-repairing ingredients such as retinol, Vitamin C and Vitamin E.
- If you have normal to dry skin, in the evening use a lotion or cream moisturizer formulated with many different antioxidants and skin-repairing ingredients.
- Toner: Once or twice a day, use salicylic acid (BHA) exfoliant or face cleanser as these gentle acids not only help to clean the skin, removing dead skin cells and prepare the skin for topical products they also help to reduce inflammation and redness.
Rosacea Skin Care
To take care of red-sensitive rosacea skin, one should be gentle with the skin as any harsh products and treatments can flare up the rosacea and make it worse. For good rosacea skincare, one should also keep the following in mind:
- Protect the Skin: from sun damage using non-irritating SPF ingredients such as zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide
- Exclude: any irritating or sensitizing ingredients as these often cause flare-ups and may even worsen the Rosacea
- Add: products that reduce redness and calm inflamed red skin
- Remove: the build-up of dead skin cells and wrinkles with products loaded with antioxidants
Rosacea Skin Treatments
If you suspect that you have rosacea, the first step is to talk to your doctor to get a clear diagnosis and to discuss your rosacea skin treatment options. Luckily, with today’s technology, rosacea symptoms can be treated or controlled using over-the-counter products or in-office procedures.
For those with more severe symptoms, experts recommend going beyond prescription products and considering lasers that target redness and inflammation, as well as light treatments—like IPL (intense pulsed light), this treatment can work wonders for patients with rosacea and redness. They help give long-lasting improvement and can help normalize the skin. Some patients can stop using their OTC or prescription products after a series of laser treatments.
Skin Care Tips for Rosacea-Prone Skin
Some people with rosacea can have very sensitive skin, and common skincare products can aggravate rosacea.
Wash your face with a mild, gentle cleanser daily. Hard pressure on your face can worsen the blood vessels, so use a light touch with only your fingertips; even using a washcloth might be too harsh for your skin. Rinse your face with only cool or lukewarm water. Avoiding hot showers and baths is also a good idea.
Some skincare products, such as those containing alcohol, can trigger flare-ups for people with rosacea. Avoid products that have alcohol-containing astringents, toners or cleansers, and talk to your dermatologist for product recommendations that aren’t so harsh.
Follow these tips and routines daily and have smooth and radiant skin!!! After all, healthy skin is the key to happy skin.